Sunday, February 08, 2015

Why I don't watch the Grammy Awards

I notice that the Grammy Awards are again in progress and that I am not watching them again this year. I don't watch the Grammies every year. It has become a tradition for me. There is something about not watching an awards program that features people who I am not even familiar with that is just fulfilling. I can't explain it.

Actually there are two kinds of people featured at the Grammies that contribute to my desire not to watch it:

The people I don't know; and
The people I do know and don't like

Sam Smith, St. Vincent, and Pharrell Williams. Who are these people? And why does this latter person spell "feral" "pharrell"?

It is a mystery.

And then there is Phil Specter, Madonna, and AC/DC. Seriously? All of these people should now be in rest homes having their diapers changed.

In fact, I didn't even know the Grammies were on until I started getting posts about it on my Feedly RSS Reader. That adds a extra layer of satisfaction for me in not watching them: When I intentionally do not watch certain television programs, it contributes to my satisfaction in not watching them to know that I did not even know they were going to be on the air.

Interestingly, this is even better than finding out after I did not watch them that it was on and I didn't know it.

I have also not watched the Academy Awards for several years now. I can't tell you how much pleasure I derive from this experience.

These were all shows that everyone I knew watched when I was younger. And now, I notice I am not the only one not watching them. It appears to be a trend.

I should also mention that I have not watched the Miss America Pageant in quite a number of years. It always seemed to me to be a tribute to the shallowness of America. But now that I have discovered that this show is becoming a scandal to the political left, I am reconsidering my decision. I am considering not not watching this show now that I know that the people who I consider the silliest people of all do not like it.

Not watching a show that they do not watch would not give me as much pleasure as not not watching a show they do not watch.

I call this tactical TV watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should have watched the show, Martin. I did and I saw the biggest, whitest moon I have ever seen...oh, wait, that was Madonna's butt.